Sunday, January 8, 2012

DIET FOOD CAN BE GOOD! WHO KNEW IT!!!!!!!!

Happy New Year to all of you and your families.  I hope you are having a good one so far.

Keith and I started the New Year by going back on our diets.  Keith goes on a strict Atkins diet and I go on a modified one.  Either way we have both lost weight this way before and hope to again.

I go to Adkins Recipes to get ideas for cooking dinner and found two I know you will like.  I am not a big cooked cauliflower person but this recipe is great.  The burger one is a little different but very tasty.  Very low in carbs so if you are a type 2 like me, add something with a few extra carbs.   

Here they are and let me know how you like them.

Beef Burgers with Feta and Tomato

2 people

Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Net Carbs: 1.5 Fiber: 0.5 Protein: 24.5 Fat: 13.5 Calories: 230.5

Ingredients

1/2 Pound ground beef
1/2 green onion, chopped
1/4 Cup baby spinach (I chopped mine)
1/8 Cup tomato, slices (I used grape tomatoes and quartered)
1/8 Cup Feta cheese, crumbled
3/4 Teaspoons fresh dill weed (I used dried)
1/4 Teaspoon salt
1/4 Teaspoon pepper

Directions

Combine ground beef, scallion, spinach, tomato, feta, dill, salt and pepper. Form into 4 patties. 

Grill or pan-fry over medium-high heat for 6 minutes per side for medium doneness. 

 
Cauliflower with Red Peppers and Olives

Net Carbs: 4
Fiber: 3
Protein: 2
Fat: 6.5
Calories: 90.5

Ingredients

1/3 medium head cauliflower, trimmed and separated into small florets
1 1/3 Ounce-weights roasted red bell pepper (1 large pepper), drained, rinsed and cut into thin strips
3 1/3 Kalamata or other black olives, pitted and sliced (I used 6 because I could have them)
2/3 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2/3 Tablespoons chopped parsley leaves (used dried)

Directions

Place cauliflower in a medium pot fitted with a steamer basket over lightly salted water. Bring to a boil. Steam 6–7 minutes until tender but firm. 

Drain cauliflower. Mix in bell pepper, olives, olive oil and parsley. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground Pepper



    2 comments:

    1. Love the blog! Thanks for putting in the nutrition values. Helps us folks who are diabetic.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Know you will love these two recipes and how much better carbs wise can you get. Keep checking back, I have a few more I will add next time.
      Brenda

      ReplyDelete