Thursday, January 19, 2012

TWO MORE LOW CARB DISHES

Hello Everyone,

I have attached two more low carb dishes for your enjoyment.  Both are from Atkins.  I have not baked anything lately but will for next time.

The Chicken dish doesn't taste any different to me than a regular recipe.   I found it quite good.  Of course, I missed my rice even though I could have had some.  I try to support Keith best I can.  I actually made this in a slow cooker and it worked fine  I served it with sliced veggies and green beans.

The turnip fries are just okay to me.  I am not a big turnip fan.  Keith really liked them though.  The only thing is, be sure to cut them as indicated or they get too mushy.  Easy to fix. Served them with a steak and salad.

Try them and let me know how you like them.  Good Eating.

Sorry no pictures yet, still trying to figure out this thing.


Chicken Cacciatore

Net Carbs: 5.5 Fiber: 1 Protein: 45.5 Fat: 24 Calories: 453.5

Ingredients

1 1/2 Tablespoons virgin olive oil
1 Pounds broiler/fryer chicken, skin on, cut into 8 pieces
1/4 Cup chopped onion (1 small onion)
3/4 Teaspoons chopped garlic
1 Teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves
1/4 Cup Sauvignon Blanc or other dry white wine
1/2 Teaspoon salt
1/8 Teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
3/4 Cups canned plum tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped

Directions

In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown chicken in two batches, about 8 minutes per batch. Transfer to a plate.
Add onion, garlic and rosemary to the skillet; cook 4 minutes, until onion is softened. Add wine and bring to a boil, stirring to loosen any browned bits. Add salt and pepper flakes.
Return chicken, skin side up, and accumulated juices to the skillet. Cook until almost all the wine has evaporated, about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes.
Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 30 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Transfer chicken to a serving platter. Boil sauce 2 minutes to thicken.
To serve, spoon the sauce over the chicken.



Lightly Spicy Turnips Fries
 
4 turnips, trimmed and peels (1 ¼ pounds)
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 tsp salt
½ tsp chili powder


Heat oven to 425*

Cut turnips into 2 x ½ “sticks.  Place on a foil lined cookie sheet.  Drizzle with oil, sprinkle with salt and chili powder.  Toss with your hands and spread to a single layer. 
Roast 30 minutes turning ½ way thru cooking for even browning.  Serve immediately.

4 carbs
1½ fiber

1 comment: